I am officially addicted to my dehydrator! After last week's Homemade Kale Chips, I thought you might like this equally easy, delicious, and healthy snack: Spicy Turnip Chips!
Seriously, I am in love with this snack and it is even quicker and easier to prep than the kale chips. Not only that, but one huge turnip made a ton of chips but it cost less than a dollar. Yes, it's budget-friendly too!
Now for the taste. For me, raw turnips are like a cross between a radish, potato, and jicama in both texture and flavor. They are naturally a bit spicy, so you need just a few items to complement the flavor. Once you dehydrate the turnips, first of all, they look absolutely gorgeous, and the flavor becomes concentrated and absolutely addicting. They are just a little different than your ordinary potato chip, and you'll definitely thank me later!
Spicy Turnip Chips
Adapted from About.com
- Turnips, prepping instructions below
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. Scrub the turnip clean under running water. Slice off the stem and root ends of the turnips, then peel. (Save the trimmings for homemade broth!)
2. Slice the turnip into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
3. Optional: You may need to cut into smaller pieces, which is necessary for large turnips!
4. In a large bowl, toss with olive oil making sure to coat well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Arrange the turnip slices on the trays of your dehydrator, and dry according to your machine's directions.
Note: The original recipe recommends drying for 1 hour at 150°F/65°C, then reducing to 135°F/57°C for about three additional hours.
6. Let the chips cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
That's it! According to the recipe, the chips will keep indefinitely, but the quality is best if they are used within one year. Honestly, they never last more than a day or two depending on how many chips I make for the day.
I hope you enjoy making these chips and let me know if you love them as much as I do! Now, I'm off to find the next veggie to dehydrate into a chip...
You might also like...
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase using one of the links, a small commission will go to support Vintage Zest. I will only recommend sites with products that I think you will love and enjoy!