This week, I am sharing a new favorite recipe! I have tried time and time again to make kale chips in the oven, which was so tricky to find the right balance. Why are the centers always soggy? How does the kale get nice and crispy without burning the edges? So how did I make the perfect kale chip? I used a dehydrator!
So why kale chips? They are much healthier than your typical deep-fried potato chips, and are even crispier. Seriously, they are pretty hard to stop eating once you start... Yum!
Also, for those of you who don't have a dehydrator, it's a great purchase! I love throwing in all kinds of fruit, veggies, and even meats to see what turns up. It's like a surprise every time. :)
Now, let's get to the Kale Chips!
Homemade Kale Chips
- 1 large bunch kale, any variety
- 2 - 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Strip the leaves away from the stalks and tough midribs.
Bonus: Save the stalks for stock or compost.
2. Wash the kale leaves and dry very well.
3. Tear the washed and dried leaves into just slightly larger than chip sized pieces.
4. Toss the kale in a large bowl with the extra-virgin olive oil and the salt. Massage the leaves well with your clean hands.
5. Spread the leaves on the dehydrator trays in single layers. Do not crowd the leaves.
6. Dry the kale according to your dehydrator's settings.
The original recipe calls for drying at 145°F/63°C for 1 hour then reducing to 115°F/46°C for an additional 3 to 4 hours until crispy dry.
Tip: If your kale chips lose their crunch in storage, you can re-crisp them in a low (200°F/93°C) oven for 10 minutes, or in the dehydrator at 110°F/43°C for an hour.
That's it! Perfectly crispy kale chips!
So delicious! Since they usually don't last for too long, I never need to re-crisp them. So remember to stock up on kale the next time it's on sale and try out these amazing chips!
Do you have a dehydrator?
You might also like...
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase using one of the links, a small commission will go to support Vintage Zest. I will only recommend sites with products that I think you will love and enjoy!