*Update* The giveaway is over, but the pattern is still free!
Hello everybody! Remember my post from about a month ago about the soft sunglasses cases I sewed for myself and as a couple of gifts?
Well, here is my tutorial on how to make your own
This is my first pattern tutorial so please let me know in the comments or e-mail me with any suggestions for improvements. Thanks!
What You Will Need
- Main fabric - only small pieces needed for all fabrics
- Lining fabric
- Contrast fabric, if desired
- Batting (For a more rigid case, use purse interfacing)
- I use a 1/4" seam allowance.
- In my tutorial, all of the lining pieces are gray, the flap is orange, and the exterior and interior pieces have polka dots.
- I usually sew at night, so these pictures are going to not be lit well. Also this is my first sewing tutorial, so bear with me!
1. Cut pieces from the fabric as directed on the pattern.
2. Sew Pattern Piece A (flap) and Pattern Piece B (exterior) together as shown below for both the main and lining fabrics, but make sure to sew the batting to one set of fabrics as shown in the second picture.
3. Press open.
4. Sew Pattern Piece C (interior) to Piece B as shown below.
|Before Step 3|
|After Step 3|
5. Turn the lining piece inside out and press.
6. Slide the lining piece into the exterior piece, matching up the edges.
7. Between main and lining fabric of the flap, sandwich a loop of the elastic with the metal part outside of the sandwich (OPPOSITE of my picture, which shows the metal part inside the sandwich).
8. Beginning on one side of Piece C, sew the main fabric to the lining, leaving a 2-3 inch opening. If you're confused, check out the second picture for the results.
9. Turn the case inside out through the opening.
10. Topstitch all around the perimeter of the case. I topstitched twice around the flap, for an extra detail.
11. Put the glasses into the pouch in order to estimate where the button should be placed.
12. Sew the button in place, and voila you're done!
Let me know if this is clear enough for you, and if not let me know what steps are a bit tricky to understand.
This is a great project for a few reasons. It's fast, it's easy, and it uses very little fabric. The turquoise fabric in the case below is actually leftover from my first dress and my first project ever (soon to be blogged about).
The cases can be customized with any combination of fabrics and buttons. You could use a Velcro closure as well. The possibilities are endless! And of course, they would be great gifts. :)
Let's get this giveaway started!
Giveaway Rules and Details
1. Eligibility: Open to U.S. residents. If I someone wants to inform me on how to use the European mail system, I could be persuaded to mail it when I travel there in a couple weeks. But for now, just U.S. residents. :)
2. Entry Deadline: March 28th, 2013 at 11:59pm PST.
3. Winner selection & Notification: The winners (2) will be selected from the eligible entries using a random number generator. The winners will have 24 hours to respond or else another number will be drawn.
4. How to enter...
Complete all four steps below for 22 possible entries!
- Follow via E-mail, Google (is it really going away?), or Bloglovin' (do not follow privately or else I can't contact you!). Current subscribers are automatically entered. (10 entries)
- Post about this giveaway on your blog and leave a comment below with the link. (10 entries)
- Leave a comment below letting me know what else you would like to see on the blog, as long as I have your attention! Also, let me know which case you would prefer, if you are chosen first. (1 entry)
- Like Vintage Zest on Facebook and leave a comment below letting me know that you did. (1 entry)
*Update* Let me know if you make this because I would love to feature your version on my reader projects page!