Anyways, this is a recipe I came up with a few weeks back after making my Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting. I had some frosting left over and a couple of bananas that were ripening past the point of no return. Perfect!
I based my recipe off of a "healthy banana muffin" recipe that I found. It has very little sugar, no butter, no oil, and only egg whites. Yes, I love my desserts but it pays to curb that sweet tooth. :)
I was honestly too lazy to dirty two bowls and take my time spooning batter into each individual muffin tin. Therefore my lazy-person motto came in handy, "Never mix/chop/grate/slice if you can find a machine to do it for you!" There's a reason why I love my stand mixer, food processor, and blender and could never, ever part with them. Seriously.
Healthy Banana Muffins
Adapted from Group Recipes
1/3 cup natural applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 egg whites
1/3 c. water
1 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place paper liners in 15 of the muffin tins and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Pulse the applesauce and sugar in blender on low.
3. Add the bananas and water and pulse to combine.
4. Add the eggs and pulse until just combined.
5. Add the dry ingredients and pulse on low until just combined. Do not overmix!
6. Pour mixture into the prepared muffin tins.
7. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
Update: One reader mentioned that her muffins only needed 15 minutes to bake completely. Try to check often because I may use a larger muffin tin or my oven might act differently than yours. Make sure to keep an eye on these starting at 15 minutes and avoid burnt muffins!
8. Cool completely before topping with the frosting of your choice.
Hopefully, these end up as delicious for you as they are fast and easy!
What's your favorite kitchen shortcut?