I have eaten my share of my burgers. I mean just check out the past couple of months: here, here, here, here, and here! This totally stands up thanks to the mozzarella and marinara. I think I could eat a shoe if you smothered it in sauce and cheese! But seriously, the burger is moist for a poultry patty (thanks to the veggies) and has tons of flavor too!
Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner
Makes 4 - 6 burgers (depending on size)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken or turkey breast (I used turkey)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil)
- 4 ounces (1 cup shredded) mozzarella cheese (I used presliced fresh mozzarella)
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce (I used leftover arabbiata sauce)
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper for two minutes, until just beginning to soften.
2. Turn off the heat. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, combine the chicken or turkey breast, scallions, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
4. Add the cooled onion and pepper mixture. and use your hands to mix well.
5. Form into evenly sized patties. Andie made 4, I made 6.
6. Preheat broiler. Place the patties on a lightly greased baking pan and broil for 4-5 minutes per side, until the burgers are no longer pink in the center.
7. Remove the patties and cover each with a thin layer of marinara sauce. Reserve the remaining sauce to spread on buns/rolls for serving. Divide the mozzarella evenly among the patties. Return the pan under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.
8. Serve immediately on your choice of bread with the remaining marinara sauce, if desired.
I had to recreate this with a frozen patty because not all of my data was recovered. Also, I didn't have any buns left, so I had to make to with a sandwich thin. No biggie because I got to eat this amazing burger again! Yum!
What's your favorite burger?