Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser.
Now that it is the start of summer grilling season, I am super excited! For one thing, all of my family has summer birthdays, so it seems like we are constantly celebrating every weekend. To keep everything simple (but still special) this week for my mom's birthday, I decided to take advantage of her awesome backyard grill and make the whole family a meal fit for a queen: Balsamic Steak & Vegetables! It was an awesome treat and extra convenient with a one-stop shop at Smart & Final. Everyone loved our delicious dinner, and this will definitely be a part our summer meal plan!
As an added treat, Smart & Final is having a Gas BBQ Grill Giveaway for those of you who need a new grill for the summer! Customers are eligible to win by buying Cattleman’s Finest meat and entering the code from their receipt onto the website. There is also a Facebook contest, where you can vote and get a coupon for (1) FREE First Street Barbecue Sauce 18-oz. with the purchase of any Cattleman’s Finest item. So many savings!
First, I headed to Smart & Final to pick up the ingredients. Remember all of my past posts at Smart & Final? It is so convenient because it combines all of the savings of a warehouse store and the sizes and selection of a grocery store. It's the best of both worlds!
First up, I was a bit intimidated by the meat section...
But then I noticed that all of the Cattleman's Finest meats had suggestions and recipes for serving their cuts of meat. Perfect!
For the side dishes, they had so many ready-made items, and fresh ingredients for recipes that you want to make from scratch. Perfect!
I picked up a couple of ingredients from the oil and vinegar aisles, plus a few more. So many options and sizes to choose from! I found every ingredient I needed right away and for amazing prices. Yay!
Balsamic Steak and Vegetables
A Vintage Zest original
- 1 to 1.5 lbs. Cattleman's Finest steak for grilling & broiling
- 1 1/2 cups La Romanella Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup La Romanella Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt, freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 4 bell peppers, your choice of color
- 8 oz. package whole mushrooms
- 11 oz. package baby spinach
1. Heat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Season the Cattleman's Finest steak with the salt and pepper on each side.
3. Combine the La Romanella Balsamic Vinegar, La Romanella Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
For convenience, I "mix" it in a resealable bag!
4. Pour about 1/2 of the mixture over the steak and let marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
5. In the meantime, slice your bell peppers into thick wedges and...
... the whole mushrooms into quarters.
6. Marinate the vegetables in about 1/3 of the mixture for at least 15 minutes.
(For all of you math nerds like me, that means that you roughly 1/6 of the mixture left for the spinach!)
7. Grill to the steak and vegetables to the desired doneness. In general, grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, but we prefer ours medium to medium-well!
8. While the steak rests, sauté the spinach in the remaining balsamic mixture until wilted.
And that's it! You can choose to slice your steak after letting it rest, and then serve with the spinach and vegetables.
I love the bright peppers and how wonderful they taste grilled up. The mushrooms soak up the balsamic vinegar marinade, and they are wonderful little pops of flavor! The bed of spinach is delicious and tasty, and a wonderful accompaniment to the amazing steak. It is a super fast and easy dish, but it is special enough for a fun occasion!
What is your favorite dish to grill?