I had a few requirements for these, since I like to start my day off as healthy as possible! Now what happens by dinnertime is a different story... Anyways, that meant as little added sugar as possible and little to no butter/oil. I found this awesomely easy recipe which had absolutely no sugar or butter, that I'm going to share with you now! It's seriously so good that now it's my go-to recipe for when I have overripe bananas. Sorry banana bread!
Banana Oatmeal Breakfast "Cookies"
From the Pantry Chef
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 cups oats
- 1/2 – 1 cup dried fruit, chopped (I like a combination raisins and cranberries, but you can use anything that strikes your fancy!)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mash bananas with a fork until smooth.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Let mixture sit on the counter for 15 minutes.
4. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, shape the mixture into your desired shape. I like a fat cookie, but you can make them into bars or thinner cookies. They retain their shape, so don't worry about flattening in the oven. :)
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°.
Now, I actually don't mind when I'm short on time in the morning because I can just pack one (or two) of these along with me. Dee-lish!
What's your favorite grab and go snack?