My guy pointed out that I have a major blog crush, and he's totally right! Although I first popped over to her blog for an incredible dessert, the healthy recipes have been the ones that kept me around. I mean, the girl lost over a hundred pounds, so it can't be all brownies and whoopie pies. :)
This recipe is so easy, healthy, and delicious that it's now on heavy rotation here at Casa de Vintage Zest. It's the trifecta of what I look for in a recipe!
Easy & Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
Adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner
2 quarts chicken broth, preferably homemade using this recipe1 whole chicken, 4-5 lbs, shredded (you can use rotisserie, or use this easy recipe)
6 large carrots, roughly chopped
8 stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups small pasta noodles of your choice
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a large stockpot.
2. Add the carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
3. Add all of the chicken meat to the pot and stir to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the pasta noodles and simmer for another 15 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaves and thyme.
Yes, it's the easiest recipe ever. Then why does it taste so darn good? It's definitely the homemade stock that imparts all of its yummy goodness into the soup. The chicken itself is fall apart tender, so I I can't say for sure how good it will be using a storebought stock and chicken, but it's so easy to make my own, I doubt that I'll ever try it otherwise!
It may be hot out, but this is definitely a staple for my daily menu this summer. :)
What is one of your summer staples?